Sunday, January 18, 2009

Not Your Traditional Meatloaf

1-1/2 - 2 lbs. Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
1/2 Cup Evaporated Milk (or if you want to be like me, use sweetened condensed milk...yum!)
1/2 Cup chopped onion or just throw in some onion flakes
1 Cup uncooked oatmeal
1 Egg
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon chili powder (optional)

Topping Sauce
1 Cup Katchup
3/4 Cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon liquid smoke

Thoroughly mix together meatloaf ingredients.  Shape firmly into greased loaf pan.  Mix together sauce ingredients and pour on top of meatloaf, and let drizzle down the sides.  Bake at 325 for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.  Note that turkey does cook faster than ground beef and watch it carefully toward the end of the cooking time.

This is my great aunt's meatloaf recipe that I have had for several years now.  I inadvertantly used sweetened condensed milk instead of evaporated milk, and I am unsure why.  I encourage you to try it both ways.

No comments: